You will learn why you need to know your current ecommerce IT set-up and how to share this information easily with all your stakeholders.
An appreciation and understanding of the systems that enable your ecommerce business to run is fundamental – especially when looking at replacing or upgrading your systems. This understanding will make it easier to make practical decisions about what type of technology is appropriate, any trade-offs that need to be made and ensure that right questions are being asked, at the right time.
So how can you capture a view of the systems, even if you are not an IT specialist?
- List out the systems, with their proper name, explain their purposes and key outputs.
- Identify all of the touchpoints, including any explain the purpose.
- Prepare a diagram with all of these systems and the points at which they interact or where they exchange information.
- Document how information is transmitted and in what format, and how often.
- Find out any business implications for the systems
Take action in your business
- Sit down and list out all of the systems that run your operation
- Ask the IT team for an architecture diagram
- Find out about the volume of transactions that are going through the systems and timing.
Found this article useful? Subscribe to read more about building a great ecommerce business